Random Ruminations of an Acupuncture Doctor

Occasionally, I have aha moments. In these moments I am inspired to share with others. Bits and pieces of stuff I've learned along the way down my path. Please enjoy!

Friday, November 5, 2010

What you can learn from my niece..

My niece sent me a message via Facebook this week. She said that she had bought three over-the-counter Chinese herbal supplements for her (self diagnosed) adrenal fatigue. Her specific question to me: Was there another Chinese herb she could take to boost her adrenals?

I asked her to send me the names of the products she was taking and the manufacturers name and I would get back to her.

My response: All of the supplements she was taking are modified versions of ancient traditional Chinese formulas and were mild, in the manufacturers dosage recommendation. They're okay, but may not be best suited for your constitution. Adrenal fatigue, if you have it, is a condition that can be manifested in a number of ways. The correct way to use Chinese herbs is by determining the correct Chinese organ patterns responsible for the symptoms you're having and treat them accordingly, at the root. I think there are some reputable companies producing good products but most folks who sell them are using them to treat symptoms. Most of these products are not designed to treat every scenario for which they are intended to be used for. This is why self medicating or getting herbs from someone who isn't trained in Chinese medicine can be futile. For me to recommend an herb or formula for you would be like calling the auto parts store and asking them for a battery for my car without telling them the type of car I own... do you see what i mean?

My recommendation: Chinese herbal medicine is complicated and difficult to do if one isn't sufficiently trained. The difference between me and someone in an herb shop is that I have a license to practice medicine from the medical board and am nationally board certified in Chinese herbal medicine. Most likely, they are not. The correct way to determine the Chinese pathological disease patterns responsible for your symptoms is to undergo Chinese Pulse diagnosis using the Pulse Matrix method. Very few doctors are trained in this method of diagnosis. However, the results are very accurate and once the proper diagnosis is determined and herbal treatments prescribed, patients will experience results much quicker than they normally would using products that are, typically, not as strong as the pharmacy grade herbs from my Chinese herbal compounding pharmacy. The Pulse Matrix procedure and the results takes just a few minutes.

In this day and age, the temptation to self medicate is enormous. Herbal remedies are available from various retail stores and the internet. However, I encourage patients to resist this temptation and seek out good counsel and good products. That's why I do what I do: to help people gain optimal health and save them time and money.